Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Eye of the Sword


So far Eye of the Sword is going great! So far it appears that Eye of the Sword could be read independently from Breath of Angel. The tidbits from Breath of Angel are clarified so the reader isn't missing any of the big pieces of the puzzle. If the suspense and action stays heightened throughout the book Eye of the Sword will probably get 5 stars.

There are a couple concerns I have:  First, it appears that each book is going to be about the journey of finding each of the hidden/missing harps. So far on this journey it appears the characters are only searching for the harp Melaia believes is in Dregmoor, as if they have to be found in a specific order. I say that because when the Prince of Eldarra mentions the Queen watching the stars and claiming to be able to see Avellan, another name for heaven,  Trevin doesn't ask about them having or knowing about a harp. If it was me, I would have asked because the riddle in Dreia's book mentions that "one touches skies." It will bother me if the characters put on blinders to hints on finding the harp solely to find one they already think they know where it is. The other concern is the reader isn't completely certain how much time has passed between Breath of Angel and Eye of the Sword. The events from Breath of Angel are referred to as "last fall" or the "previous fall." We were told in the first book that Melaia has less than 2 years to find all of the harps and restore the tree. A better idea of how much time is left would heighten the suspense for readers reading the entire series from the beginning.

5 comments:

  1. Hi, I'm a new follower from Book Blogs! Check out my blog here Bookish Whimsy, and hopefully you would like to follow back. :)

    It's great that you are enjoying this book for the most part! I hope it will earn those 5 stars!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It got the 5 stars! The next book Throat of the Night is working on 5 stars as well!

      Delete
  2. Hi there. I'm also a new follower from Book Blogs. :) I'm pretty new to the blogging world as well (you can find me at One Book at a Time). I read your first post, and I noticed that picking a name for your blog was your biggest obstacle. I had the same problem. lol

    These books sound really interesting. I may have to look into them. And even though I haven't read them, I have to agree. Not knowing exactly how much time has passed would actually drive me nuts. I think it's a really important part of the story if they only have a certain amount of time to find those harps. I hope this book doesn't disappoint! Good luck with your blog!

    x Ari

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you do read the books I would just skim through chapters 3,4,5,6, and 7 of Breath of Angel. It's the slowest part of the whole series. When I read the series again later that's probably what I'll do.

      Delete
  3. This book sounds good! I like the cover :)
    Congrats on creating a blog :D
    I'm a new follower from Book Blogs, here's my blog - City of Books

    ReplyDelete